Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Getting there

I'm in Africa!

My day started at 3:45 am when we arrived at the airport (Kaitlin and I had yet to go to bed). And it continued...and continued...forever. I slept the entire 6 hour flight to NY. It's wonderful how time elapses so much faster when you're sleeping.
Our next flight, the non-stop to Cape Town, actually wasn't non stop. After 8 hours we landed in Dakar to let off some passengers. I slept most of that flight too. I did wake up during landing, and wanted to step off the plane just to check another country off my "to visit" list, but we were told to stay on the plane.
And then, get ready, this is super exciting.
A herd of lions, accompanied by a supportive band of hyenas, boarded and attempted to hyjack the plane! I would have stopped them, but I had once again succumbed to slumber.
I guess the lions are pretty air savvy, because we landed in Cape Town another 8 hours later.

Sorry it's not a more exciting story.

Once we landed, we cleared customs. There was slight confusion when each student was asked for return flight intinerary ( I guess they don't want us to stay too long. It's probably wise of them...). None of us have said itinerary. "Return?" we asked, with puzzled expressions.
Fortunately, they finally accepted Dr. Segall's master itinerary which had all of our names on it.

That was the closest to an adventure we came.
Our driver Desmond (not Tutu, or from Lost) met us and drove us to the hostel where we are staying. (The view, in the dark at least, seems to be quite impressive. We can see the table top of Table Mountain from our windows. I bet that's where Simba lives - Pride Rock, here I come!)
And then we ate food.
I stepped out on a limb and chose an exotic African dish.
Pizza.
"Lion's head pizza," actually, which consisted of neither lions or heads.

And now, since I only payed for 30 minutes of internet, I think I'll leave you with all these exciting stories to dwell on. Perhaps tomorrow will be less dramatic and adventurous, maybe I'll get some sleep for once. We can only hope.

3 comments:

Ben said...

Oh man, Kali!

I'm re-living every moment with ya. Just wait until you wake up and see table mountain in all its glory! You are probably museuming or robin islanding right now. Or probably sleeping seeing how it's almost noon here.

Say hi to everyone I know, and be prepared for Africa to change your life...

Andrea Green said...

I am so excited to follow you on this trip. Keep the updates coming.

Charis & Josh said...

Oh traveling is always an adventure. :) I've been praying for you guys!